Derrick Reed is a founding partner of Smith Reed & Armstrong, PLLC. His practice focuses on employment law, civil litigation and general business matters.
During the first years of his legal career, Derrick focused his experience on intellectual property law and civil litigation in the private sector. His practice ranged from preparing and prosecuting patent applications to representing clients in complex commercial litigation matters. He then served as an Assistant District Attorney with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office for over four years. As a Prosecutor, he handled thousands of cases, ranging from minor misdemeanor matters to serious felonies, including capital murder. He also gained first chair jury trial experience trying over 35 cases to verdict in County and District Courts.
Derrick then went to work as a Senior Associate for a labor and employment law firm in Houston where he vehemently defended companies accused of Title VII or Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) violations. He also represented plaintiffs and defendants in various complex commercial litigation matters involving a wide range of financial, shareholder, and trade secret issues. He resigned his position with that firm to found his private practice, Reed, PLLC and in 2016 became a founding partner of Smith Reed & Armstrong, PLLC.
Mr. Reed received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin, where he was honored with the Distinguished Graduate Award for the College of Engineering in 2001. Prior to his legal career, he worked as a Technical Sales Engineer in the Semiconductor industry for a Fortune 100 company. Mr. Reed earned his Juris Doctorate from Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University in 2007, where he served as the Executive Editor for the Law Review and the President of the Intellectual Property Society.
In addition to his law practice, Mr. Reed was recently elected to Pearland City Council, Position 2 an
d devotes time to serving the citizens of the City of Pearland, Texas. He also functions on the Board of Directors for several non-profit organizations, including Houston Community ToolBank, the Texas Black Expo, and The Adult Reading Center. He enjoys spending time with his family, working out and fantasy football.
Organization Memberships and Professional Licenses
- State Bar of Texas
- Licensed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, and Northern Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Pearland Chamber of Commerce
- Texas Super Lawyer, 2016
- Represented a construction management company with contract negotiations in connection with a $1.9 billion government project.
- Represented a regional grocery store chain in connection with several premises liability claims and settlement agreements.
- Assisted in the defense of a petroleum refining corporation in regards to indemnity, contractual, and negligence matters.
- Represented an international offshore ship construction company in connection with contractual disputes regarding timeliness of deliveries and quality of equipment.
- Represented a Fortune 500 corporation in regards to patent infringement, enforcement and licensing matters and patent application filings and responses.